City lacking festive decorations
With 25 days before the jolly old white-whiskered gent in the red suit pops down city chimneys, has Palmerston North put out a festive enough welcome mat?
Following the article on the Square Edge shop decorating competition, the results of The Tribune‘ s online poll, which asked if people thought the city was festive enough, suggest that the city is underdone.
Only 12 per cent of those who took part thought the city was festive enough, leaving 88 per cent agreeing the city needed a Christmas makeover.
When people on the streets were asked if they thought there were enough festive embellishments, a common reaction was ‘‘what Christmas decorations?’’.
Te Rina Warren said while she didn’t agree with overcommercialisation of the season, the city could do with a little more titivating.
‘‘I love Christmas ... anything that offers opportunities for celebration should be encouraged. I thought we had some snazzy lights in The Square. I like anything that fosters a sense of community and togetherness.’’
Felix Carr expressed his ambivalence.
‘‘I can’t see any Christmas decorations. I’m not particularly bothered personally, but, yes we could do better ... Do we want to do better? I am quite indifferent.’’
Another who didn’t care either way was Deborah Ramsay.
‘‘I don’t celebrate Christmas, so it doesn’t matter to me - but neither am I offended by other people’s festivities. I don’t have an opinion. It’s not part of what I do.’’
However, Simon Kikhounga wanted to see more effort put into city decorations.
‘‘Compared to some places, we are definitely underdone. I’ve seen places where Christmas blows you away with the lights. In the Congo, Christmas is massive.’’
Julie Barnes echoed those sentiments.
‘‘When you look at pictures of London, Wellington or Auckland, we look curmudgeonly. It’s just not festive.’’
Those who want to see a more festive flavour would need to make a submission to next year’s Annual Plan in May so that Christmas lights and decorations can be included in city council thinking.
The council’s approach to Christmas has been to focus on events for people to enjoy, rather than on sparkle and spangle.
Carol Leckie at Square Edge supports making Palmerston North look more seasonally festive.
(Clockwise from top left) Te Rina Warren, Deborah Ramsay, Simon Kikhounga Julie Barnes and Felix Carr.