Date set for expressway opening
Ladies and gentlemen, start your engines for the $630 million first section of the Kapiti expressway.
Transport Minister Simon Bridges has announced the official opening date for the Mackays to Peka Peka section of the expressway, which will be on February 16.
Bridges said the opening would be four months ahead of the original scheduled completion date.
The expressway was a $630m, 18km four-lane expressway along the Kapiti Coast, north of Wellington, and included 18 bridges and 16 kilometres of walking and cycleways.
Bridges said the early opening was a ‘‘great outcome’’ for the Kapiti Coast and the wider region.
‘‘In just a few weeks’ time this connection will open to deliver smoother and safer journeys for everyone,’’ he said on Tuesday.
The community would be invited to a Kapiti Coast Express Day which will be a chance for people to experience the expressway before it was opened to traffic.
Previously it was reported that the road was hoped to be opened on or about December 22, but ongoing bad weather in Kapiti had put paid to that.
The current State Highway 1 would eventually become a series of local roads, maintained by Kapiti Coast District Council.
In November, it was announced that Fletcher Construction had won the contract to build the $330m Peka Peka to Otaki section of the expressway, starting in mid-2017.