Children made sick by drugs
No-one will face criminal charges after three Porirua children were hospitalised after ingesting synthetic drugs.
In September last year three children, aged 15, 8 and 5, from the same family were admitted to Wellington Hospital with conditions ranging from serious to less serious after somehow getting the chemicals into their bodies.
Police now believe it was because a cooking implement had been used to make synthetic drugs and was contaminated.
Two deaths have been linked to the drug in Porirua so far this year.
Detective Senior Sergeant Neil Holden said officers had been unable ‘‘to link the contaminated cooking implement to an individual’’.
‘‘While initial medical concerns were significant, with proper medical care each child made a full recovery.’’
Holden said police wanted to reinforce the dangers of all drug taking and production, especially when around children and vulnerable people.
About 45 people are believed to have died in New Zealand as a result of synthetic drugs since June 1, 2017.