Sisters, aunt call 111, push car away from fire
Two quick-thinking sisters and their aunty have emerged as the heroes of a fire that gutted a garage on Te Ma¯ whai Rd.
Sisters Ngaire Hughes and Trina Newton came across the fire at about 1pm on Friday.
Trina contacted emergency services while Ngaire and her aunty, Gloria Rewiti, checked the house for occupants and pushed a car to safety.
“The car was parked close to the shed and the bonnet was heating up,” Ngaire says.
“Luckily the car was unlocked and we could jump in and take the handbrake off to push it away.”
Firefighters from Te Awamutu and O¯ torohanga arrived intime to stop the fire spreading from the detached garage to the house. The fire damaged the house gutters and broke windows before it was extinguished. The fire was not being treated as suspicious.
Firefighters from Te Awamutu and Otorohanga ¯ arrived at the scene in-time to stop the fire spreading from the detached garage to the house.