Fresh new start for Horse and Hound

Wairarapa News - - FRONT PAGE - JACK BAR­LOW

There were a few cu­ri­ous glances as regulars en­tered the re­opened Horse and Hound ear­lier this month.

Now known as the Jack­son Street Bar fol­low­ing a Trust House takeover, the pop­u­lar Master­ton bar was closed for seven weeks with talk of a fresh new look.

As many found out, those ex­pect­ing a sig­nif­i­cant re­design were set to be dis­ap­pointed.

Sit­ting in the cen­tre of the bar, one punter swept his eye around the room. ‘‘It’s, well, pretty much the same,’’ he said, shrug­ging his shoul­ders.

His sen­ti­ments were widely echoed. Aside from al­ter­ing the lo­ca­tion of the game room, every­thing appeared much as it was, al­beit with a new lick of paint. So why the holdup? Trust House chief ex­ec­u­tive Al­lan Pol­lard said more work was done than meets the eye - more, in fact, than the busi­ness’s new own­ers ini­tially thought was needed.

‘‘It’s more than just a spruce up,’’ he said.

‘‘It was bloody aw­ful be­fore, re­ally. It was tired, your feet would stick to the car­pet ... it was never our in­ten­tion to move things around.

‘‘It was so run down when we took it over that we de­cided to spend the ex­tra money to do it jus­tice.’’

So how much ex­tra money? Pol­lard won’t pin­point an ex­act num­ber, cit­ing com­mer­cial sen­si­tiv­ity, but he did ad­mit a ball­park fig­ure would put the to­tal spend around $70,000.

Cer­tain parts of the build­ing, he said, were in par­tic­u­larly bad shape.

‘‘A lot of the de­lay was with the toi­lets, which were in a worse con­di­tion than we en­vi­sioned,’’ he said.

‘‘We fig­ured we’d take the ex­tra time to do a good job and not rush it.’’

He said he’d been hear­ing en­cour­ag­ing re­ports from vis­i­tors.

‘‘The feed­back has been re­ally pos­i­tive, which is most un­usual in my job,’’ he said.

On a re­cent visit to the bar, some regulars had mixed feel­ings about the re­design.

All were ap­pre­cia­tive of the new car­pet and paint, but most were still mys­ti­fied as to why the re­fit had taken seven weeks in­stead of four.

‘‘I mean, it’s re­ally nice, but I kind of ex­pected more,’’ one punter said. ‘‘I’ve spent seven weeks drink­ing at home for this?’’


Closed for seven weeks, the Jack­son Street Bar re­opened two weeks ago.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from New Zealand

© PressReader. All rights reserved.