Heater leak gas call­out

Whanganui Chronicle - - News - By Zaryd Wil­son

Road work­ers smelled gas and alerted fire­fight­ers to a leak com­ing from a St Hill St prop­erty about 1.20pm yes­ter­day.

“There was quite a heavy gas leak com­ing from the one of the prop­er­ties down there and it was picked up by the road work­ers,” said Fire and Emer­gency se­nior sta­tion of­fi­cer Craig Gar­diner.

“Be­tween the gas de­part­ment and the fire ser­vice, we used breath­ing ap­pa­ra­tus to go in and mea­sure the gas lev­els.”

Gar­diner said it was not found to be ex­plo­sive but was “very strong” and the prop­erty was ven­ti­lated with fans.

The gas was com­ing from a heater that was on but not lit.

Gar­diner said it was im­por­tant for peo­ple to en­sure gas ap­pli­ances were safe and work­ing and, if not, get them checked.

Fire­fight­ers were also called to a com­mer­cial prop­erty at the cor­ner of Maria Pl and Vic­to­ria Ave, where food had caught fire in a mi­crowave. The fire was con­tained.

Gas de­tec­tion equip­ment was used to mea­sure a gas leak in the St Hill St prop­erty. PHOTO / STU­ART MUNRO

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from New Zealand

© PressReader. All rights reserved.