Perfect for using up leftover pumpkin
This recipe is great for using up extra pumpkin, or if you have leftover roast veges, try using these in the filling instead.
SPICED PUMPKIN FILOS
Ready in: 55 minutes
Spiced pumpkin filos
500g pumpkin, peeled and diced 1cm
2 carrots, diced 1cm red onion, thinly sliced teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sesame seeds 1 tablespoon filo spice mix 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
200g feta, crumbled
1-2 handfuls baby spinach leaves 10 sheets filo pastry
2-3 tablespoons melted butter or olive oil
2 tablespoons sesame seeds
Filo spice mix
1 teaspoon dried thyme 1 teaspoon dried marjoram 1 teaspoon dried oregano teaspoon cumin
To serve cup natural yoghurt, relish or sauce (optional) Each week Nadia gives you another easy recipe for your family and you’ll find all the ingredients in My Food Bag. myfoodbag.co.nz
Preheat oven to 220 degrees Celsius. Line an oven tray with baking paper.
1. Toss pumpkin, carrots, onion, salt, first measure of sesame seeds and filo spice mix with little oil on prepared tray. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until tender and starting to caramelise.
2. When pumpkin has 5 minutes’ cook time remaining, add almonds, raisins and feta and cook for about 5 minutes, until warmed through. Transfer all to a large bowl and toss through spinach until wilted. Season to taste with salt and pepper and set aside to cool slightly. Line oven tray again with a clean sheet of baking paper.
3. Place a single sheet of filo on a clean, dry bench with short edge closest to you. Lightly brush with melted butter or oil and fold in half lengthways. Brush folded sheet again with butter or oil.
4. Place cup spiced pumpkin filo mixture in the corner of the filo and fold over to form a triangle at the bottom of the sheet. Fold up to form a further triangle and continue folding over until the whole sheet is wrapped around filling. Repeat with remaining sheets and filling.
5. Place filos on prepared tray and sprinkle with second measure of sesame seeds. Bake for 8-10 minutes, until golden brown. Set aside to cool slightly for about 5 minutes before serving.
To serve, place 1-2 spiced pumpkin filos onto plates with a spoon of yoghurt, relish or sauce on the side (if using).
Recipe is from the new Bargain Box cookbook –
– packed with easy, tasty and affordable recipes the whole family will love.
See bargainbox.co.nz, myfoodbag.co.nz.
Bring these scrummy morsels along to your next dinner party as a tasty vegetarian option.