Korean Fried Chicken
SERVES 4 PREPARATION 20 MINUTES (PLUS MARINATING) COOKING 40 MINUTES
1 onion, roughly chopped
¼ cup sambal oelek ¼ cup tomato sauce
2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
1 / cup plain flour, plus extra
3 for dusting ½ cup milk
8 chicken drumsticks
2½ cups panko breadcrumbs
oil for deep-frying shredded cucumber, carrot and sesame seed salad, mirin (Japanese rice wine), steamed brown rice to serve
1. In the bowl of a small food processor, combine onion, sambal, tomato sauce and garlic. Pulse until combined.
Transfer to a bowl. Stir flour and milk through until smooth. Set aside.
2. Dust drumsticks in extra flour, then wet spice mixture and finally in breadcrumbs to coat. Chill for 15 minutes.
3. In a large, heavy-based saucepan, heat oil until a little flour begins to sizzle (165ºC).
4. Deep-fry drumsticks in two batches for 8-10 minutes each, turning until golden and cooked through. Drain on a paper towel. Keep warm.
5. Serve chicken with cucumber, and carrot and sesame salad dressed with mirin. Accompany with brown rice.