Thai Lemongrass & Coconut Soup
SERVES 4 PREPARATION 20 MINUTES COOKING 50 MINUTES
1 tablespoon peanut oil
8 frenched chicken legs 1 red onion, finely chopped
1 stalk lemongrass, bruised
5cm fresh ginger, thinly sliced
4 kaffir lime leaves, bruised
1 long red chilli, thinly sliced
1½ litres chicken stock
400ml can coconut cream
200g dried rice vermicelli noodles, soaked following packet instructions
180g fried tofu puffs 250g punnet cherry tomatoes, halved
1 / cup lime juice 3
1 tablespoon finely grated palm sugar
1 tablespoon fish sauce coriander leaves, fried shallots to serve
1. In a large saucepan, heat oil on medium. Brown chicken for 4-5 minutes, turning. Set aside.
2. In the same pan, cook onion, lemongrass and ginger for 3-4 minutes until softened. Add lime leaves and chilli, then cook for a further 2 minutes. Add stock and bring to the boil.
3. Reduce heat to low and stir in coconut cream. Return chicken to pan. Simmer, partially covered, for 30-35 minutes until chicken is cooked.
4. Remove chicken and shred coarsely. Return to broth with noodles and tofu and cook for a further 3 minutes to warm.
5. Remove from heat and stir tomatoes, lime juice, palm sugar and fish sauce through. Serve sprinkled with coriander and shallots.