Moroccan Chicken Stew
SERVES 4 PREPARATION 20 MINUTES COOKING 1¼ HOURS
¼ cup olive oil
8 frenched chicken legs
1 onion, thinly sliced
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 tablespoon baharat (Arabic spice blend)
400g can diced tomatoes
2 celery stalks, diced
1 large carrot, diced
4 cups chicken stock
1 kumara, peeled, cut into
2 medium courgette, trimmed,
cut into 1cm-wide strips
400g can chickpeas, rinsed,
drained Greek-style yoghurt, lemon wedges, crusty bread to serve
1. In a large saucepan, heat oil on high. Brown chicken for 4-5 minutes, turning. Set aside.
2. In same pan, sauté onion for 3-4 minutes until tender. Add garlic and baharat, then sauté for 30 seconds until fragrant.
3. Add tomatoes, celery and carrot. Simmer for 2-3 minutes, then add stock.
4. Return chicken to pan with kumara, courgette and chickpeas. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, partially covered, for 40-45 minutes until very tender.
5. Serve stew accompanied with yoghurt, lemon wedges and bread.