Pancetta & Mushroom Crepes
SERVES 4 PREPARATION 30 MINUTES COOKING 50 MINUTES
1 tablespoon olive oil 1 large onion, finely chopped 2 garlic cloves, crushed 400g can diced tomatoes 2 tablespoons finely shredded basil, plus extra leaves to serve 200g button mushrooms,
sliced 50g mild pancetta, chopped 500g fresh ricotta (see tip) 250g frozen spinach, thawed,
drained 1 cup grated mozzarella GLUTEN-FREE CREPES 2 eggs
½ cup gluten-free plain flour ¼ cup rice flour ¾ cup milk 40g butter, melted
1. Heat half the oil in a large frying pan on medium. Cook onion and garlic, stirring, for 5 minutes or until onion softens.
2. Add tomatoes and cook, uncovered, over low heat, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until sauce thickens slightly. Remove from heat. Cool slightly. Stir in basil. Season and set aside.
3. GLUTEN-FREE CREPES. Whisk eggs, then both flours in a medium bowl. Gradually add milk, whisking between additions until batter is smooth. Season.
4. Heat a 20cm frying pan on medium. Brush with butter. Pour 2 tablespoons of batter into pan, swirling to coat base. Cook for 1 minute or until golden. Turn and cook for 30 seconds. Repeat to make eight.
5. Heat remaining oil in a frying pan on high. Cook mushrooms and pancetta, stirring, for 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl. Stir in ricotta and spinach. Season.
6. Preheat oven to moderate. Lightly oil an eight-cup ovenproof dish.
7. Spoon half the tomato sauce over base of dish. Spoon ricotta mixture evenly over crepes. Roll to enclose. Arrange crepes side by side in dish. Spoon over remaining tomato sauce. Sprinkle with mozzarella.
8. Bake for 20 minutes until golden. Serve sprinkled with basil leaves.
Bauer Books, rrp $16.95. Available from selected newsagents and supermarkets. Edited extract from TheAustralian Women’sWeekly Gluten-Free FamilyFavourites,