Popcorn & Peanut Butter Chocolate Cakeake
SERVES 16 PREPARATION & COOKING 1 HOUR, 15 MINUTES (PLUS COOLING)
½ cup cocoa ½ cup boiling water 185g butter, chopped
(see tip) 1½ cups caster sugar 2 teaspoons vanilla extract 3 eggs 1½ cups self-raising flour ½ cup plain flour ¾ cup buttermilk 2 cups nutty caramel
popcorn 2 teaspoons icing sugar PEANUT BUTTER FROSTING 435g ready-made vanilla
frosting 200g smooth peanut butter 1 tablespoon milk
1. Preheat oven to 160°C. Grease a deep 22cm square cake pan with butter. Line base and sides with baking paper.
2. Combine sifted cocoa and boiling water in a large bowl until smooth.
Add butter, sugar and vanilla, beating with an electric mixer until pale and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Add sifted flours and buttermilk in 2 batches. Beat on a low speed until just combined. Spread mixture into pan.
3. Bake cake for 55 minutes or until a skewer inserted into centre comes out clean. Leave cake in pan for 5 minutes before turning, top-side up, onto a wire rack to cool completely.
4. PEANUT BUTTER FROSTING. Stir all of the ingredients in a medium bowl until smooth.
5. Place cake on a plate. Spread frosting on top. Just before serving, arrange popcorn on frosting, then dust with sifted icing sugar.