MEND accuses Clark’s son of masterminding kidnap
The Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta (MEND) yesterday accused Ebikeme Clark, son of Ijaw leader, Chief Edwin Clark, of “masterminding his abduction to extort money from Delta State government”.
Ebikeme was abducted last week by unknown gunmen who were said to have demanded a ransom of N60 million for his release. He later regained freedom shortly after Ijaw youths led by Government Tompolo mounted pressure on the abductors, it was gathered.
MEND, in a statement issued in Port Harcourt and signed by its spokesman, Bomo Jomo, alleged that the abduction, “was a cleverly orchestrated fraud masterminded by Ebikeme”.
Jomo alleged that a ransom of N500 million was paid by the Delta State government to “those involved in the scam”.
“It is rather unfortunate that in a desperate bid for relevance and extra funds to maintain a private jet, certain unscrupulous persons, including the Delta State police will conspire to deceive Nigerians with a phantom abduction and release of the so-called hostage,” the group said.
However, the Delta State Police Command spokesperson, Celestina Kalu, who confirmed Ebikeme’s release on Sunday, said the victim was set free without a ransom.