37 killed in separate attacks in Borno
Over 37 people were killed in two separate attacks in Borno villages at the weekend, DailyTrust gathered yesterday. Residents and security sources said suspected members of the Boko Haram sect stormed Ngoshe Sama village in Gwoza LGA Saturday night and committed the mayhem.
The sources said the insurgents who drove in vehicles and motorcycles set ablaze many houses, shops and telecommunication masts. The village shares borders with Cameroon and had been attacked in the past.
Malam Usman Jidda, a survivor, said he fled to Gwoza with his family but had to go to Maiduguri to seek assistance because all he were destroyed.
“I thank God for sparing my life and my family. Some of our people, over 30 of them, have been killed. Sadly, when the insurgents came around 10pm, they took us unawares and did a lot of destruction and left. Unfortunately, I gathered from some of our people that followed us to Gwoza that the insurgents went back to Ngoshe again (yesterday) to complete their mission,” he said.
He said they destroyed personal effects and sources of livelihood in the farming community. In the second attack, seven people including the village head were also killed in Kaigamari in Konduga LGA around 2am yesterday.
Villagers said the assailants used Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs) to burn houses, including that of the village head, Bulama Kaigamari, whose family narrowly escaped. Mamman Kaigamari, one of the locals who escaped to Maiduguri yesterday said the attackers stormed the village at night. A security source confirmed the attack at Kaigamari.