Jonathan summons govs, security council meetings over attacks
President Goodluck Jonathan yesterday called for top level meetings to be held today over the deteriorating security situation in the country.
Within the past 72 hours, 75 people had died in a bomb blast in Abuja while 129 female students were abducted in Borno, besides 20 other people killed in Borno villages and seven in Wukari, Taraba State.
Presidential spokesman, Reuben Abati, said in a statement yesterday that Jonathan summoned all state governors and members of the National Security Council to separate meetings to be held today at the Presidential Villa against the backdrop of recent events and developments in the country.
According to Abati, the meeting with members of the National Security Council, which will be presided over by the president, is scheduled for 11.00am.
He listed those expected to attend as Vice President Namadi Sambo, Defence Minister retired Lt.-Gen Aliyu Gusau, National Security Adviser retired Col. Sambo Dasuki, Chief of Defence Staff Air Chief Marshal Alex Badeh, service chiefs, Inspector-General of Police Mohammed Abubakar as well as the Directors-General of the State Security Services and the National Intelligence Agency.
Abati said the meeting of the National Security Council would be followed at 1.00pm by an enlarged meeting on security developments in the country to which Jonathan invited the state governors.
He said the president, members of the National Security Council and the state governors would review the security situation in the country as well as ongoing national security measures and operations with a view to determining the best way forward.
He conveyed the president’s reassurances of the federal government’s commitment to the safety of lives and property of all Nigerians and people living in all parts of the country, saying it would continue to do everything possible to protect them from the scourge of terrorism and insecurity.
According to him, the president is particularly concerned about the plight of the young secondary school girls abducted from their school in Borno State on Monday night and has ordered the military and national security agencies to deploy maximum efforts towards rescuing and returning them safely to their parents, adding that the president welcomed reports that security agencies had already rescued some of the girls.
“President Jonathan deeply regrets the pain, sorrow and anguish brought upon many Nigerian families in recent days as a consequence of recurring security challenges which the nation is contending with. The president remains convinced that with the patriotic commitment and support of all Nigerians, the country will ultimately overcome its present challenges and move forward in unity and strength”, he said.
Abati said Jonathan would be pleased to see all politicians in the country exhibiting greater responsibility and patriotism by doing more to support his administration’s sincere efforts to enhance national security rather than try to build “political capital out of the pain and misery of their compatriots”.