On this day
– American Civil War: The Battle of Plymouth begins – Confederate forces attack Plymouth, North Carolina.
– The Aurora, Texas UFO incident
– Russian troops open fire on striking goldfield workers in northeast Siberia, killing at least 150.
– World War II: The Kingdom of Yugoslavia surrenders to Germany.
– Forces of the Communist-controlled Greek People’s Liberation Army attack the smaller National and Social Liberation resistance group, which surrenders. Its leader Dimitrios Psarros is murdered.
– Brazilian forces liberate the town of Montese, Italy, from German Nazi forces.
– Syria obtains its Independence from the French occupation.
– Jerrie Mock becomes the first woman to circumnavigate the world by air.
– Ford Mustang is introduced to the North American market.
– Sirhan Sirhan is convicted of assassinating Robert F. Kennedy.
– The People’s Republic of Bangladesh forms, under Sheikh Mujibur Rahman at Mujibnagor.
– George Lucas begins writing the treatment for The Star Wars.
– The Cambodian Civil War ends. The Khmer Rouge captures the capital Phnom Penh and Cambodian government forces surrender.
– Mir Akbar Khyber is assassinated, provoking a communist coup d’état in Afghanistan.