Kuje: Shops remain shut as security cordon-off blast scene
Business activities in Kuje have been paralyzed following last Friday night’s bomb blast at the entrance of Kuje main market which left 15 people dead and 17 others injured.
City News observed that some shops located by the secretariat junction down to Ungwar Kayarda junction, which is directly opposite the blast scene have remained under lock and key.
A cross section of residents who spoke with our reporter said many shop owners were still in shock and so could not open their shops. A shop owner who deals in electronics close to the market, Mr. Uchenna Uzomma, said he came the next morning after corpses had been evacuated in order to open his shop but was prevented from doing so by security agents manning the blast scene.
“In fact, I tried to open my shop the next day after the incident but none of us were allowed to do so as security men have barricaded the place, even motorcycles and vehicles passing through the place were prevented,” he said. He said the security men informed all the traders whose shops were located close to the market to wait until after chemicals were spread at the blast scene.
“But my worry is that I don’t have money at home to take care for my family. It is through the business that I raise money to feed my family, pay children school fees and house rent. I hope government will urgently do something to clear the place so that shop owners would be allowed to resume business,” he added.
A Civil Defence officer at the scene, who preferred anonymity, confided in our reporter that shop owners were prevented from opening shops in order to use chemicals to clean the place in case of any outbreak of infections. “As you see, even motorcycles and motorists have to divert through the junction that leads to Gomo’s palace, since the place was barricaded,” he said.
Our reporter further observed a heavy vehicular traffic caused by the diversion.