Hajj stampede: Kano death toll rises to 16
Executive Secretary of Kano State Pilgrims Welfare Board, Alhaji Abba Yakubu, has said that the number of pilgrims from the state who died in the Jamrat stampede in Saudi Arabia, has risen to 16.
Yakubu told Daily Trust yesterday that seven other pilgrims from the state were still missing. He said the 16 dead pilgrims comprised of 11 males and five females.
“You know, last time, I confirmed the death of nine pilgrims from Kano. Now we have identified seven additional pilgrims from the state among the dead,” he said.
He added that a Kano male pilgrim, who is still on admission at Saudi government-owned hospital, is responding to treatment.
He said: “The seven missing pilgrims comprise of five males and two females. We are still searching for them. You know in a situation like this, you cannot lose hope until you either see them dead or alive.”
He urged Nigerians to continue to pray for the deceased and those who were injured in the incident.
On the return journey operation, the executive secretary said so far, over 1,000 pilgrims from the state had returned to Nigeria and that the exercise would be completed by October 20.