Doctors in Ekiti suspend strike
Doctors at the Federal Teaching Hospital, IdoEkiti (FETHI) yesterday suspended their four-months old strike embarked upon following disagreement with management of the hospital over welfare issues.
The doctors, in a statement, said they ended the strike “having considered the plight of patients and the relentless intervention by prominent, well-meaning and senior citizens of Ekiti State in the industrial dispute”.
The statement signed by Dr Otutoaja Uzoma and Dr Ekundayo Oladeji, said, “the association deeply regrets the suffering caused patients by the strike”. They blamed the strike on what they called, “injustice and harsh working condition by management of the hospital.”
They also held the management of that the hospital headed by Dr Lawrence Majekodunmi “has not granted any of the association’s demands among which is the immediate implementation of skipping allowance for doctors as approved by the Federal Government in a circular from the office of the Head of Civil Service of the federation dated 19th December 2013.”
The doctors had also listed “immediate implementation of the new entry point for House Officers with effect from January 2015 as approved and clarified by the Federal Ministry of Health in an explanatory note dated 29th July, 2015.” According to them, Dr Ayodele had agreed in a letter to implement some of their demands and warned that “the industrial action will resume without any prior congress meeting in the event any of the resolutions are not implemented.” A 40-year-old bricklayer, Priye Bernard was on Tuesday shot to death at Odi in Kolokuma/ Opokuma Local Government Area of Bayelsa State by another man who allegedly caught him having sex with his wife in a farm.
It was gathered that the late bricklayer followed the woman to the farm to harvest cassava, and was allegedly having sex with her when her husband arrived.
Daily Trust gathered that the woman’s husband then shot the bricklayer with a locally made gun.
Sources in the community said the corpse of late Priye Bernard had been deposited at Ebidom mortuary in Odi.
It was gathered that the police in Odi had arrested the wife of the Isoko man to assist in the investigation in the matter.
Police Public Relations Officer in the state, an Assistant Superintendent of Police, ASP, Asinim Butwats, said the command was not yet aware of the incident.
He however assured that the command would investigate the matter.
National Leader of Third Phase Presidential Amnesty Programme, Friday E. Burutu Jnr. (right)with the National Secretary, Lord Onipa, during a press conference where the group gave the federal government a 5-day ultimatum to include their members in the Niger Delta amnesty programme or face a mass protest, in Abuja yesterday. See story on page 11.