FG arraigns 5 over Oct 2 Abuja bombings
In a dramatic twist at the arraignment of five persons over the October 2 bombings in Abuja yesterday, one of the accused persons pleaded guilty to terrorism charges.
The federal government arraigned Abdulazeez Muhazab, Ishaku Salisu, Mohammed Jimoh, Abdulwaheed Nasiru and Abdulahi Nasiru before a Federal High Court in Abuja for allegedly conspiring with others at large and carried out the attack.
The police had earlier yesterday paraded the suspects at the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) headquarters in Abuja.
A police officer familiar with the investigation who does not want his name mentioned said the suspects who are between the ages of 26 and 34 were picked up in three locations within the month of October.
The attack which took place in Kuje and Nyanya, two of Abuja’s suburbs, left scores dead and many injured.
In a five-count charge signed by the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP), Mohammed Diri, the suspects were accused of conspiracy and terrorism.
They were also alleged to have on October 6 stored and concealed items suspected to be used for the making of Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs) at Unguwar Ebira, Karamajiji area behind Military Cemetery, Airport Road, Abuja.
Meanwhile, a statement yesterday by police spokesperson, Assistant Commissioner of Police (ACP) Olabisi Kolawole, the Inspector General of Police (IGP) Solomon Arase confirmed that the suspects were arrested at Karamajiji Village with dangerous bombing tools which include I-pad, laptop and phone believed to be used as materials for making bombs were recovered.
Also, items allegedly found on them include: 27 pieces of detonators, aluminum powder, hexomine, hydrogen peroxide, sulphur powder, sodium azide plus nitrate, iron oxide, soldiering wire, sugar, PH litmus paper, sodium carbonate, thermometer, chlorate, filter paper, strings, potassium chlorate, 12 ready-made IEDs and full bag of fertilizer.
“The IGP said the arrest of the suspects was made possible by the proactive nature of the newly formed Intelligence Response Team,” Kolawole added.
The IGP also warned Nigerians to avoid the temptation of picking 1-pad, phones or laptops not kept by them, as terrorists now use these items in manufacturing bombs, knowing its attractions and uses to the people.
The suspects’ offences are contrary to sections 17, 2 (a), 2 (b) and 2 (g) of the Terrorism Prevention Act, 2013.
However, while four other accused persons pleaded not guilty to the charges read to them, Abdulwaheed Nasiru pleaded guilty to the fourth count charge of being in possession of items suspected to be used for the making of Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs).
When defence counsel, Nureni Suleiman attempted to clarify the plea, the accused person sustained his reply, maintaining that the items belonged to a friend.
Diri informed the court that the prosecution has completed investigation in the matter and ready to proceed with the case.
Justice Abdulkadir Kafarati refused an oral application for bail by the defence counsel.
He ordered the transfer of the accused persons from Police custody to Kuje prison on remand and adjourned the case to November 17 and 24 for trial.
Suspects arrested over the Nyanya and Kuje bombings, being escorted by security operatives after their arraignment at the Federal High Court in Abuja yesterday. On the right are items the police said were recovered from them.