2 sur­vive gas ex­plo­sion in Kubwa

Daily Trust - - CITY NEWS - By Emma Elekwa

Two per­sons were burnt al­most to death af­ter the gas cylin­der they were cook­ing with ex­ploded in their Phase 4 res­i­dence in Kubwa, a satel­lite town of the FCT.

The vic­tims, the owner of the self­con­tained apart­ment and his vis­i­tor, were about to pre­pare some noo­dles for break­fast in the morn­ing when the in­ci­dent hap­pened.

City News learnt that the host had gone to buy the noo­dles and asked his guest to pre­pare it us­ing the gas cooker while he got set for work.

The source how­ever re­vealed that the guest, ig­no­rant of the fact that the hose was al­ready leak­ing, ig­nited the match to light the cooker.

“Im­me­di­ately he struck the matches, the cylin­der ig­nited and flames en­gulfed the man’s en­tire body,” the source said.

Ac­cord­ing to the source, the host who had stepped out­side to an­swer a call on his mobile phone, rushed in im­me­di­ately to res­cue his guest, but was also af­fected by the fire, though not as se­ri­ously as his guest.

How­ever, the fire which de­stroyed bed­dings and win­dow cur­tains, could not ex­tend to the other apart­ment, as it was brought un­der con­trol with the help of neigh­bours, who also as­sisted in rush­ing them to the Kubwa Gen­eral Hospi­tal for med­i­cal at­ten­tion.

When con­tacted, the head, Ac­ci­dent and Emer­gency unit of the hospi­tal, Paul Olise, said the pa­tients were re­spond­ing to treat­ment at the male sur­gi­cal ward of the hospi­tal.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Nigeria

© PressReader. All rights reserved.