Syrian asylum seeker blows self up in Germany
A failed Syrian asylum seeker has blown himself up and injured 12 other people with a backpack bomb near a festival in the south German town of Ansbach.
The 27-year-old man, who faced deportation to Bulgaria, detonated the device after being refused entry to the music festival, Bavarian officials say.
The Syrian man made a video on his phone pledging allegiance to the leader of socalled Islamic State, Bavaria’s interior minister Joachim Hermann said.
Bavaria has been on edge since a knife rampage on a train claimed by so-called Islamic State (IS) last Monday.
Police in Munich say they have arrested a 16-year-old Afghan friend of David Ali Sonboly, who killed nine people at a Munich shopping centre on Friday.
Sonboly, 18, had been planning his attack for a year, police said earlier.
In a related development, a machete attack by a Syrian asylum seeker has left one woman dead and two other people injured in Reutlingen, near Stuttgart.
Police said the attack happened after an argument between the man and the 45-year-old Polish woman.
Police said there was no indication that it was terrorist attack and it was more likely to have been “a crime of passion”.