How family of 3 perished in Anambra church attack
Three members of the same family, including a woman and her little baby girl, have been confirmed to be among those who lost their lives in the Anambra church attack.
The Chairman of Ekwusigo Local Government Area, Engr Ikenna Ofodeme yesterday put the number of those who died in the Sunday attack at 12.
Addressing newsmen in his office, Ofodeme said six died in the church, while the rest died on the road to the hospital and at the hospital.
“Most of those who were hospitalized were also said to have been discharged, while 27 others who are still in the hospital are in stable condition,” he added.
He said the unidentified man from the Obunadike family who was among those shot dead also lost his wife and new born child.
“The Lady was carrying her new born child when the bullet pierced her back, came out through her chest and hit her baby, leaving both of them dead,” he said.
The council chairman said the attack which took them by surprise had not happened in the entire South East region but refuted the report that the target was one Aloysius Ikegwuonwu, a member of the community who he said left the town two days before the incident.
“The man being fingered to be the target was here with us two days ago. He even played football with the youths and bought booths for them. Why didn’t they go after him throughout the period he was around? Why should they come to the church to kill innocent worshippers?” he queried.
There was heavy presence of people yesterday at the Nnamdi Azikiwe University Teaching hospital where the injured were rushed to for medical attention.
One of the survivors, Samuel Nnalue, who said he was among the few who were right in front of the alter to lead the prayers when the gunman struck, sustained gunshots in his two legs.
He said it was only one gunman that entered the church auditorium, but added that a vehicle suspected to have been used by his accomplices drove past the church before the attack.
The atmosphere at the Saint Philip’s Catholic Church environment was still moody at the time our correspondent visited. A cleric in the church, Monsignor Hypolite Adigwe, said what happened was a sacrilege that must be atoned for through rededication before the church could be used for Masses again.
The Commissioner of Police, Umar Garba has said some people had been arrested over the incident. Umar who spoke on phone would not disclose the identities of those arrested, saying it would jeopardize investigations.