Woman, daugh­ter ab­ducted in Sokoto, found in Kaduna

Weekly Trust - - News - Rakiya A. Muham­mad, Sokoto

It was dev­as­tat­ing pe­riod for the fam­ily of a 26- year-old house­wife, Sa’adatu Umar Abubakar, when on Mon­day, Septem­ber 4, 2017 she and her seven-year-old daugh­ter, Ru­maisa’u, were ab­ducted in Sokoto on their way home af­ter at­tend­ing a nam­ing cer­e­mony at a re­la­tion’s house within the me­trop­o­lis.

Daily Trust learnt that when she left her home at Gi­dan Kanawa area in Sokoto South Lo­cal Govern­ment Area for Gandu area to at­tend the cer­e­mony, she al­ready had pre­mo­ni­tion that all may not well.

Ac­cord­ing to her hus­band of over a decade, 38-year-old Umar Abubakar, she looked gloomy be­fore leav­ing the house that day. Be­fore then, it took her a long time to leave her bed, turn­ing rest­lessly be­fore she fi­nally went for her bath and got set for the cer­e­mony.

It was at about 2.30 pm that Sa’adatu and her daugh­ter were noted to have left home to at­tend the cer­e­mony at a lo­ca­tion close to the Sokoto Cen­tral Mar­ket.

“Be­fore she left home, I bid her farewell and prayed for their safety,” said the hus­band.

But when it was night­fall and there was no trace of the two, there was ap­pre­hen­sion.

“I no­ticed some­thing un­usual as my wife and daugh­ter did not re­turn home by 10 pm. I tried to call her on phone sev­eral times but the phone line did not con­nect af­ter which we made en­quiries at the venue of cer­e­mony, my fam­ily mem­bers and hers, but to no avail, “he added.

“We later went to me­dia houses where they made an­nounce­ments on the miss­ing per­sons. Our team searched all hos­pi­tals, po­lice sta­tions at Kwanni and Cen­tral Mar­ket out­posts and by mid­night we all con­cluded that all was not well.”

Ac­cord­ing to him, the fam­ily then re­sorted to in­ten­sive prayers.

“We prayed all through the night in a mosque with many good peo­ple who par­tic­i­pated in the read­ing of the Glo­ri­ous Qu­ran and prayed to Al­lah for in­ter­ven­tion,” he said.

Though Daily Trust could not speak with Sa’adatu as she was said to have a headache and shouldn’t be dis­turbed, her daugh­ter who was also a vic­tim gave a vivid ac­count of what hap­pened.

“When it was time for us to go back home, we left the place of the cer­e­mony and went to the main road where my mother stopped a tri­cy­cle. The tri­cy­cle had a rider and a com­pan­ion at the front while a lady pas­sen­ger was sit­ting alone at the back. As soon as we en­tered, we both lost con­scious­ness only to find our­selves in a room with three women, one of whom from all in­di­ca­tions was the owner of the room,” she said.

They later re­alised that they were in Kafan­chan, Kaduna State.

The girl added: “There were peo­ple who kept com­ing and go­ing out of the house, and they were speak­ing a lan­guage which I don’t un­der­stand. My mum and I re­mained in the room with the two other women through­out our stay and we were given noo­dles only, three times a day.”

Ac­cord­ing to her, her mother re­fused to eat the food each time they brought it but con­tin­ued to pray re­lent­lessly. “She hardly slept but I slept briefly,” she said. Ru­maisa’u said they spent two days in cap­tiv­ity and on the third day they were shaken by shoot­ing from out­side and all the peo­ple in the house, in­clud­ing them, ran out.

“It was as we were run­ning out of the house that an armed mil­i­tary man grabbed my mother’s hand and di­verted us to their ve­hi­cle. They took us to his house from where my un­cles later came to take us back home here in Sokoto,” she said.

While his wife and daugh­ter were in cap­tiv­ity, Abubakar said it was two days of con­tin­ued thor­ough prayer ses­sions un­til Wed­nes­day, Septem­ber 6, and at about 2 pm when one of his wife’s re­la­tions phoned to tell him that his wife had been found in a house in Kafan­chan, Kaduna State and was in the cus­tody of a se­cu­rity per­son­nel and was also healthy.

“The whole peo­ple in the area re­joiced, giv­ing thanks to Al­lah for His mercy through the suc­cess of our prayer,” he said.

“Her re­la­tions trav­elled to Kafan­chan and brought them home. I was ex­tremely happy for their safe re­turn. I al­lowed her a night with her par­ents for a com­plete rest. I went to her the fol­low­ing morn­ing but due to the large num­ber of peo­ple troop­ing to the house, we couldn’t get a con­ducive mo­ment to talk in iso­la­tion un­til later,” he said.

He said he was full of hope that they would re­turn in view of the cal­i­bre of peo­ple who par­tic­i­pated in the prayer ses­sions.

“I knew such peo­ple hardly get dis­ap­pointed when they need some­thing from Al­lah,” he noted. Abubakar de­scribed his wife as God fear­ing, sim­ple and obe­di­ent.

“She goes the ex­tra mile to please me, she is a good com­pan­ion to live with,” he said.

For Fam­i­lies, friends, neigh­bours, well­wish­ers of Sa’adatu, it was one com­mon ex­pres­sion of glee on their faces as they spoke of the great joy they felt upon hear­ing the news that mother and daugh­ter had been found and were in good phys­i­cal shape .

The ab­ducted daugh­ter and her fa­ther

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Nigeria

© PressReader. All rights reserved.