Saudi, three allies unveil ‘terrorist blacklist’
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia - Saudi Arabia and its allies unveiled a ‘terrorist’ blacklist on Tuesday of 18 organisations and individuals suspected of links with Islamist extremism that they said had ties with regional rival Qatar.
The move by the four Arab governments came despite mounting international pressure to compromise in their weeksold boycott of their fellow US ally.
Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Bahrain and Egypt last month released a list of 59 people and 12 groups they alleged had links to Qatar, accused by the four states of ties to extremist groups in the region.
Qatar has denied the allegations.
Tuesday’s list blacklisted nine charity and media organisations and nine individuals ‘directly or indirectly linked to Qatari authorities’ as ‘terrorist’, read a joint statement released by the four states.
“We expect Qatari authorities to take the next step and prosecute the terrorist groups and people,” the statement said.
The Saudi-led bloc, which now blacklists 89 persons and organisations accused of ties to Islamist groups they say are backed by Qatar, also dismissed an amendment last week to Doha’s counter-terrorism law as ‘insufficient’.