No ‘compromise’ over Qatar: Egypt tells European Union
Brussels, Belgium - Egypt warned the EU on Tuesday that four Arab states would accept no compromise in their dispute with Qatar over allegations that the gas-rich emirate supports terrorism.
Foreign Minister Sameh Shoukry, speaking after talks with European Union diplomatic chief Federica Mogherini in Brussels, said Qatar must accept in full the demands by Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain and the UAE.
“It is not an issue of compromise, we cannot compromise with any form of terrorism, we cannot compromise or enter into any form of negotiations,” Shoukry told a press conference.
“It is only once the necessary measures are undertaken by Qatar, that goes towards truly accepting to be a partner in the fight against terrorism, that this crisis will be resolved,” he said.
Mogherini - who at the weekend met Kuwait’s Emir, a key figure involved in trying to mediate the crisis - in turn reiterated calls for talks to resolve the crisis.
Erdogan sees progress
Earlier on Monday, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said his visit to the Gulf region made a contribution to easing the crisis surrounding Ankara’s ally Qatar, but indicated that more time was needed to end the standoff.
Erdogan visited Saudi Arabia and Kuwait at the weekend before heading to Qatar on Monday for talks with Emir Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad al Thani in a trip aimed at defusing the crisis.
Erdogan has voiced support for Kuwait’s mediation efforts, a possible indication that Ankara sees the emirate as the key to resolving the crisis.
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan (centre) and his wife Emine Erdogan (left) were received by Qatari Emir Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad al Thani (right) at Doha International Airport on Monday