Qatar files WTO com­plaint over Gulf trade ‘siege’

Muscat Daily - - BUSINESS -

Doha, Qatar - Qatar has filed a com­plaint with the World Trade Or­ga­ni­za­tion (WTO) over an ‘il­le­gal siege’ im­posed by its Gulf neigh­bours, the Min­istry of Econ­omy and Com­merce said on Mon­day.

The gas-rich emi­rate has been slapped with sanc­tions and de­mands after four coun­tries in­clud­ing Saudi Ara­bia cut ties with it on June 5, ac­cus­ing Doha of fos­ter­ing mil­i­tant groups. Qatar de­nies the al­le­ga­tions.

The min­istry said a com­plaint had been lodged with the WTO’s dis­pute set­tle­ment body against the ‘siege coun­tries’.

The Saudi-led bloc has de­manded the ter­mi­na­tion of re­gional news gi­ant Al Jazeera, the down­grad­ing of Iran ties and the clo­sure of a Turk­ish mil­i­tary base in the coun­try.

The coun­tries have also re­called their am­bas­sadors from Doha, or­dered all Qataris to re­turn home and banned Qatar from us­ing their airspace.

‘The com­plaint ac­cuses the siege coun­tries of vi­o­lat­ing the WTO’s core laws and con­ven­tions on trade of goods and ser­vices, and trade-re­lated as­pects of in­tel­lec­tual prop­erty’, the Qatar min­istry said.

‘The ar­bi­trary mea­sures taken by the siege coun­tries are a clear vi­o­la­tion of the pro­vi­sions and con­ven­tions of in­ter­na­tional trade law’.

“Fur­ther­more, the il­le­gal siege is un­prece­dented in the frame­work of eco­nomic blocs,” Qatar’s Eco­nomic and Com­merce Min­is­ter Sheikh Ahmed bin Jassem bin Mo­hammed al Thani said in the state­ment.

Qatar’s Eco­nomic and Com­merce Min­is­ter Sheikh Ahmed bin Jassem bin Mo­hammed al Thani

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Oman

© PressReader. All rights reserved.