Venezuela says rebels behind army base attack captured
Caracas, Venezuela - Venezuela’s military chief said on Friday that two renegade officers behind an attack on an army base to raid its armory have been captured.
“The leaders and masterminds of the paramilitary and terrorist assault [last weekend against the base in the northwestern city of Valencia were arrested],” said the Defence Minister and Armed Forces Commander, General Vladimir Padrino.
The suspects were a former captain, Juan Carlos Caguaripano Scott (38) and a lieutenant at the base who was in charge of the weapons, Jefferson Garcia.
Venezuelan officials said Caguaripano, who was discharged from the army in 2O14, had commanded around 20 uniformed men in the attack.
Two of the men were killed and eight were captured, officials said previously.