‘THE WORST IS YET TO COME, BUT WE ARE READY’
Over 1,000 in emergency shelters, may reach 4,000 overnight, no deaths, injuries so far
The slow speed of Cyclone Luban has given emergency responders vital time to make sure everyone is safe, but the full fury of the storm has yet to be felt, according to a senior official.
Officials expect the number of people in emergency shelters will quadruple overnight into today (Sunday), as Luban makes its way inland, but the National Committee for Civil Defence is ready to tackle whatever is thrown at Oman.
Over 1,300 people are currently in shelters, and that number is expected to increase to 4,000 by today, according to Lt Col Faisal Al Hajri, Director of the executive office at the National Committee for Civil Defence.
“We have not seen the worst of the storm, and that is why there have been no injuries or deaths,” Al Hajri told Times of Oman.>A4,5
A rescue operation was carried out in cooperation with the Sadah police force. In a statement, PACDA said, “A team from the Public Authority for Civil Defence rescued eight crew members of a commercial vessel when their ship got stuck among the rocks due to high waves in the Wilayat of Sadah.” All eight were evacuated from the ship and are in good health, the authority added.