US blacklisting of Iran IRGC will strengthen terrorists: Defense Chief
TEHRAN: Iran’s defense chief has slammed US President Donald Trump’s threat to blacklist the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC), saying any such move against the elite counterterrorism force would only promote terror and instability in the region and the entire world.
Brigadier General Amir Hatami praised the IRGC as “the most powerful” force “on the frontline” of the fight against terrorism, IRNA reported on Thursday.
Hatami said the IRGC belongs to all the regional nations, adding, “Any plot and action undermining this anti-terrorism foundation will help promote terrorism and insecurity in the region and across the world.”
Hatami underlined Iran’s determination to stand against recent US threats, adding, “The IRGC, the Army and all the country’s forces stand united against the hostile, belligerent policies and actions of the US government, and will not allow them to jeopardize regional security through proxy war and terrorism.”
In his planned speech on October 15, Trump is expected to designate the IRGC as a “terrorist” organization. Moreover, he is reportedly planning to announce that he will not certify the nuclear agreement, known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), reached between Iran and the P5+1 group of countries in 2015.
Iranian officials have warned that Tehran will take reciprocal measures against a potential “strategic mistake” by Trump to blacklist the IRGC.
Earlier this week, Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif warned the US against any measure targeting the IRGC.
“If American officials make such a strategic mistake, the Islamic Republic of Iran will take a reciprocal measure,” Zarif said, adding, “Some measures have been thought out in this regard and will be taken at the appropriate time.”