Death toll from poisonous sweets rises to 29 in Layyah
LAHORE—Another female patient who had consumed poisonous sweets on Wednesday lost her life in Jinnah Hospital Lahore, raising the death toll to 29. The woman named Nusrat along with five other people was shifted to Jinnah hospital late Tuesday night. She died in the morning whereas the other people are under treatment.
Dera Ghazi Khan Director General (DG) Health has admitted that no antidote is available in regards to the toxic used in the sweets. Sulfonylurea, an acid used in the amalgamation of roots, has been used as the toxic in the sweets the antidote of which is not available.
The poisonous sweets were distributed among people after the birth of a child in a family in Layyah. The Punjab government has constituted three members committee to probe into the incident. Government has also issued directives to shift victims to Jinnah Hospital Lahore.
The pesticide detected in the sweets is banned in Pakistan, and shops are not permitted to sell it. The shop has been closed down, and the owners, two brothers, have been taken into custody.
Finally taking notice of the deaths caused by the poisonous sweets, Punjab Chief Minister Shehbaz Sharif formed an eightmember team including Commissioner Dera Ghazi Khan, Medico Legal Surgeon Punjab Dr Waseem Haider, King Edward Professor of Medicine and Forensic Agency experts to look into the matter.—INP