70 killed in battles north of Syria’s Aleppo
BEIRUT—At least 70 regime and rebel fighters have been killed in 24 hours in a government assault and a militant-led counterattack in northern Syria, a monitor said Friday.
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said 30 regime soldiers and 39 rebel fighters had been killed in battles around Al-Maleh, north of Aleppo, since Wednesday afternoon. Militants fighting for the Al-Nusra Front, the Syrian branch of AlQaeda, were also killed, said Observatory head Rami ports opposition forces.
For nearly a week, regime troops backed by Syrian and Russian warplanes have been battling for control of Al-Maleh. Assad’s regime is also attempting to cut the Castello Road, a key supply route from the Turkish border to rebel-held eastern suburbs of Aleppo.
The pro-regime website Al-Masdar News reported that the Syrian army withdrew from the farms of Al-Maleh as they faced a rebel counter-offensive led by the Al-Nusra Front. It said rebels attacked