Afghan govt bars Pak-Afghan Bus Service
OUR CORRESPONDENT LANDIKOTAL—Thousands of passengers including men and women of old age and children are awaiting to travel and celebrate Eidul Fitr with their relatives in Afghanistan and Pakistan as some of the Afghan transport mafia backed by the Afghan government has barred the Pak-Afghan Dosti Bus service in Afghanistan, the Bus management said on Saturday.
Haji Nasir Khan, the managing director of Pak-Afghan Dosti Bus service, said that his Dosti bus service was symbolizing friendship between peoples of Pakistan and Afghanistan. He said it has been halted by the Afghan government to run between Jalalabad and Peshawar, hardly a few days before Eidul Fitr.
Haji Nasir Khan said that he had started passengers’ Bus service between Peshawar and Jalalabad in 2006. He said six to ten buses daily cross the Torkham border while five to eight hundreds passengers of both the countries preferred to travel on Pak-Afghan Dosti Buses.
“I met with General (R) Pervez Musharraf in 2006 and requested him for starting bus service between Pakistan and Afghanistan. A licence was issued to me after I fulfilled all the required documents”, recalled Nasir and added that since then his 15 buses and taxi cabs were providing travelling services to thousands of passengers to and from Pakistan via Torkham border.
He said due to recent tension over the Torkham gate installation between the two neighbouring countries, his bus service also suffered. He said a month ago Dosti Buses stopped its services as Afghan transporters with the help of the Afghan government warned them not to enter Afghanistan.
He said daily supply of Pakistani newspapers and magazines to Afghanistan done through his bus service has been also halted. He said with the halt and suspension of his buse service, several workers including drivers and other crew members have lost their jobs.