Klitschkos promise fight with WBA champion Haye
BERLIN: Ukraine brothers Vladimir and Vitali Klitschko, who hold four out of five world heavyweight title crowns, promised on Saturday a much-anticipated fight with WBA champion David Haye would take place next year.
"We promise that a fight with David will take place in 2011, the brothers told German Bild newspaper. "He can choose who of the two of us he will fight and will lose his world title to," they said. Vladimir, who holds the WBO, IBF and IBO belts, pulled out of his bout against Briton Dereck Chisora on December 11 with a stomach muscle injury. Vitali retained his WBC world heavyweight title by beating American Shannon Briggs on points in October.
Haye easily defended his WBA title against fellow Briton Audley Harrison in Manchester, England, on November 13.
He had been due to fight Vladimir, the younger of the brothers, in June last year but withdrew citing an injury.
A Haye-Klitschko fight would certainly generate major media attention, especially now that many of the Klitschko world title defenses get no or hardly any live coverage in North America. It is also the only fight that would give the Klitschkos the title of undisputed heavyweight champions of the world, given they will not fight each other. -Ap