US irks over Pak, India peace talks’ cancellation
The United States said on Sunday it was 'disappointed' over the cancellation of scheduled talks between the national security advisers (NSAs) of Pakistan and India.
"We are disappointed the talks will not happen this weekend and encourage India and Pakistan to resume formal dialogue soon," US State Department spokesperson John Kirby said.
The spokesperson continued that the 'constructive interaction' between Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif and his Indian counterpart Narendra Modi in Ufa, Russia, had been encouraging. "We were encouraged by the constructive interaction between the leaders of India and Pakistan earlier this year at Ufa, particularly the announcement of dialogue between the countries' national security advisers," Kirby said.
The scheduled talks between the national security advisers (NSAs) of the two neighbours were called off just hours before Sartaj Aziz, the prime minister's adviser of national security and foreign affairs, was set to fly to New Delhi.
India's intransigence is to blame for the cancellation of the meeting between Aziz and his Indian counterpart Ajit Doval which was agreed upon by the prime ministers of the two countries in their meeting on the sidelines of the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation in the Russian city of Ufa last month. -APP