Clear vil­lages of drugs, of­fi­cials told

Cebu Daily News - - NEWS - R EPORT ER NEST LE SEMILLA WITH CNU I NTERN SHEEN MICHAEL MANIGO AND COR­RE­SPON­DENT IZOBELLE PULGO COR­RE­SPON­DENT BEN­JIE B. TAL­ISIC AND SE­NIOR RE­PORTER ADOR VIN­CENT S. MAYOL COR­RE­SPON­DENT BEN­JIE TAL­ISIC AND SE­NIOR RE­PORTER ADOR VIN­CENT MAYOL

Barangay of­fi­cials were warned anew by the re­gional Philip­pine Drug En­force- ment Agency (PDEA-7) that they will face ad­min­is­tra­tive charges if they fail to clear their ar­eas of drug users and push­ers.

The warn­ing came amid Cebu Gov. Hi­lario Da­vide III’s ad­mis­sion that clear­ing the barangays of drugs is a “tall or­der” that can only be achieved through to­tal com­mu­nity co­op­er­a­tion.

“It’s in the Local Government Code. It was stated in the pro­vi­sion that the barangay of­fi­cials con­cerned will be held li­able,” said PDEA-7 di­rec­tor Yogi File­mon Ruiz.

Barely a week af­ter 120 barangays in the prov­ince were de­clared drug-free, Ruiz said there were still nine barangays that had il­le­gal drug users based on ran­dom drug tests con­ducted in their ar­eas.

Ruiz said those barangays are given one month to en­force drug in­ter­ven­tion mea­sures or else the of­fi­cials will be slapped with ad­min­is­tra­tive charges.

He said these mea­sures in­clude house vis­its to drug sus­pects, weekly meet­ings and drug tests.

Se­nior Supt. Eric No­ble, Cebu provin­cial po­lice chief, ad­mit­ted that nine barangays in the prov­ince are still plagued with il­le­gal drug ac­tiv­i­ties and they have an over­sight com­mit­tee that will ad­dress this con­cern.

“If the barangays fail to meet the one-month deadline, the com­mit­tee will con­vene and take back their cer­tifi­cate stat- ing that they were cleared of drugs,” No­ble said.

The com­mit­tee is chaired by Ruiz with Re­gional Di­rec­tor Rene Bur­deos of the Depart­ment of In­te­rior and Local Government (DILG) as vice chair­man.

The com­mit­tee also in­cludes of­fi­cials of the Po­lice Re­gional Of­fice, Cebu Provin­cial Anti-Drug Abuse Of­fice (CDAPAO) and the re­gional Depart­ment of Health (DOH-7).

No­ble called on barangay of­fi­cials to be vig­i­lant in mon­i­tor­ing and crack­ing down on il­le­gal drug ac­tiv­i­ties in their re­spec­tive ju­ris­dic­tions.

In Barangay Lang­tad, Naga City, five men and a mi­nor were arrested for posses­sion of il­le­gal drugs and drug para­pher­na­lia at 6:45 a.m. last Tues­day.

The sus­pects were iden-

COP CHARGED WITH RAPE

A CEBU City-based po­lice of­fi­cer is charged with rape for al­legedly mo­lest­ing a 13-year-old sis­ter-in-law last week.

Mario (not his real name) has not re­ported to work since the vic­tim filed a com­plaint at the Par­ian po­lice precinct.

Charges were filed at the Cebu City Pros­e­cu­tors’ Of­fice last Mon­day.

The names of the vic­tim and sus­pect were with­held to pro­tect the vic­tim’s pri­vacy.

In her com­plaint, the vic­tim said she was brought by her el­der sis­ter to Cebu City to care for her chil­dren.

Last April 8, the vic­tim said the po­lice­man al­legedly touched her breast while she slept in­side her room. When she turned back from the sus­pect, she said the po­lice­man stopped.

Two days af­ter, the vic­tim said the po­lice­man touched her pri­vates and mo­lested her while she slept with her sis­ter and two kids in­side their room.

The vic­tim said she first in­formed her el­der brother about what hap­pened and he ac­com­pa­nied her along with her two sis­ters to file a com­plaint at the Par­ian po­lice precinct.

Supt. Ryan De­varas, chief of the Cebu City po­lice’s In­ves­ti­ga­tion and De­tec­tion Man­age- ti­fied as Re­nato Ba­clay alias “Lalay Vil­larin”, Prince Rollo, Ri­cardo Segis­mar, Avilino Vil­larin Jr., John Rey Ba­clay and a mi­nor. Taken from their posses­sion were five sa­chets of shabu and para­pher­na­lia.

In San Remi­gio town, po­lice arrested a man and a woman for posses­sion of il­le­gal drugs at a check­point in Barangay Pobla­cion at 10:15 p.m. last Tues­day.

Taken from the posses­sion of Jomerey Re­tuya and Jackie Lou Fer­nan were 13 plas­tic sa­chets con­tain­ing shabu and four pieces of alu­minum foil.

Gov­er­nor Da­vide said stake­hold­ers should be proac­tive in the war against il­le­gal drugs./ ment Branch, said they are in­ves­ti­gat­ing the po­lice­man who stopped re­port­ing to the po­lice precinct where he was as­signed.

“Of course, due process will be given as in other cases. The sub­ject will be given the chance to an­swer the ac­cu­sa­tions,” he said.

The po­lice­man was deemed ab­sent without leave (AWOL)./

EX-COP, TWO OTH­ERS NABBED AT HOME

A PO­LICE of­fi­cer who went ab­sent without leave (AWOL) a decade ago was arrested in his home in Si­tio Padul, Barangay Duljo Fa­tima in Cebu City last Tues­day even­ing.

Roel Miego, who used to hold the rank of Po­lice Of­fi­cer 3, was arrested by the Mam­bal­ing po­lice for posses­sion of il­le­gal drugs.

Miego was with two other men iden­ti­fied as 53-year-old Cosme Jovel and 25-year-old Jake Can­ico.

A team from the Mam­bal­ing po­lice precinct was sup­posed to sched­ule a drug bust on Miego only to go straight to his home and ar­rest him along with Jovel and Can­ico .

The Mam­bal­ing po­lice precinct told CE DA NE that they will file charges against Miego, Jovel and Can­ico at the Cebu City Pros­e­cu­tor’s Of­fice./

DA­VIDE

RUIZ

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Philippines

© PressReader. All rights reserved.