Two kids die in Asturias fire


A MOTHER’S de­ci­sion to leave her two chil­dren at home to get a salary in “taboan” proved costly for the mother when her chil­dren died af­ter a fire razed her house in Barangay Mang­guiao, Asturias town.

Fire Insp. Arra Fa­jardo, Balam­ban Fire Sta­tion head, said yes­ter­day that the burned re­mains of the two chil­dren, whose ages are two years old and five years old, were found in the razed house.

Mark Su­pa­ton, Asturias Mu­nic­i­pal Dis­as­ter Risk Re­duc­tion and Man­age­ment Of­fice head iden­ti­fied the chil­dren as Mar­i­lyn and Si­mar Franz Pal­icte.

Su­pa­ton said that the house is lo­cated in the in­te­rior part of the moun­tain barangays where neigh­bors are sev­eral me­ters away from the house.

Su­pa­ton said that the par­ents Maria and Fran­cisco Pal­icte were al­legedly not in the house when the fire hap­pened.

“The mother was al­legedly in ‘taboan’ to get a salary. The area is two kilo­me­ters away from their house,” Su­pa­ton said.

Se­nior Insp. Jade Su­ma­gat of the Asturias Po­lice Sta­tion also said that the kids were re­port­edly locked in­side the house.

A dyAb re­port said that the mother de­cided to leave the chil­dren alone in the house be­cause it was rain­ing and she tied a rope on the door to lock it so that they would not play out­side.

Su­ma­gat said that a neigh­bor later dis­cov­ered that Pal­icte’s house was al­ready gut­ted by fire.

“Nak­a­ban­tay ang silin­gan dako na ang kayo, lisud na ta­ban­gon. Lagyo sad ang mga balay (A neigh­bor found out later that the house was on fire and it was al­ready dif­fi­cult to help put it out),” Su­pa­ton added.

Asturias has no fire sta­tion, the near­est fire sub­sta­tion is the neigh­bor­ing town of Balam­ban.

Su­pa­ton added that the house was just made of a light ma­te­rial that’s why the whole house was im­me­di­ately burned down. PO­LICE and the lo­cal gov­ern­ment of Ronda, a south­west­ern town 63 km from Cebu City, have made head­way in their cam­paign against il­le­gal drugs and loose firearms af­ter one of the provin­cial po­lice’s high-value tar­gets sur­ren­dered, and gov­ern­ment of­fi­cials and res­i­dents turned over to po­lice 95 short and long firearms in a month’s time.

The sur­ren­der of Jeric “AAY” Tor­res, who was al­legedly a leader of an armed group in the town, would make the town more peace­ful, said Supt. Joie Yape Jr., con­cur­rent chief of the Ronda Po­lice Sta­tion.

Yape said he hoped that Tor­res’ sur­ren­der would also make Fran­cisco Om­boy, an­other al­leged leader of an armed group in the town, to also give him­self up.

Tor­res told CEBU DAILY NEWS in an in­ter­view yes­ter­day that he sur­ren­dered and turned over his guns be­cause he wanted to live peace­fully and that is the rea­son he heeded calls from the town and po­lice of­fi­cials for him to sur­ren­der.

Yape said that Tor­res was one of those in­cluded in the list of high-value tar­gets of the Cebu Provin­cial Po­lice Of­fice.

He said that with Tor­res’ sur­ren­der, the quar­rel be­tween Om­boy and Tor­res fam­i­lies would be re­solved.

Yape said that Tor­res and Om­boy are re­lated and their fam­i­lies had not been on good terms.

Yape also showed his grat­i­tude to the Ronda mu­nic­i­pal gov­ern­ment of­fi­cials led by Mayor Mariano Blanco and Vice Mayor Jonah John Ungab for their co­op­er­a­tion in sup­port­ing his ef­forts to make the town peace­ful.

Yes­ter­day, dur­ing Ronda’s town fi­esta, 522 drug sur­ren­der­ers, who un­der­went the town’s com­mu­nity based drug re­ha­bil­i­ta­tion pro­gram, were pre­sented.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Philippines

© PressReader. All rights reserved.