in THE black
Black-cased watches have hit the market hard in recent years—that’s partly a symptom of our current taste for murdered-out everything, but mostly thanks to space-age advances in metallurgy and chemistry, which can change the composition and color of metal. Watchmakers bonded vaporized metal to the surface of the case and later realized they could also deposit carbon. Now ceramics are the future: Heat-, scratch-, and corrosionresistant, the material is pitch-black through and through. (If there were a scratch, it wouldn’t really show.) The watch’s only real weakness is a heavy impact. So don’t hit yours with a hammer.
01. Steel Stop2go by Mondaine; mondaine-usa.com
02. Steel Night Vision chronograph by Victorinox; victorinoxwatches.com
03. Steel with ADLC Santos by Cartier; cartier.com
04. Ceramic Superocean Héritage Chronoworks by Breitling; breitling.com
05. Carbon Octo Ultranero Solotempo by Bulgari; bulgari.com
06. Steel Black Bay Dark by Tudor; tudorwatch.com