Stuffed squid is given new flavor with coconuts
A seafood dish stuffed with an unlikely ingredient
SQUID STUFFED WITH SPINACH AND HEART OF PALM (UBOD) INGREDIENTS
3 cups packed fresh spinach leaves, tough stems removed 1 tbsp. coconut oil 1 tsp. finely minced garlic 1/4 cup finely minced onion 1 cup diced fresh hearts of palm ( ubod) 11/2 cups chopped shrimp 2 egg whites 1 tbsp. minced parsley 10 to 12 medium-sized squids, cleaned, peeled, tentacles removed and cavity emptied 2 tbsp. coconut oil 1 tbsp. finely minced garlic 1/4 cup finely minced onions 2 tbsp. minced ginger 1 tsp. fish sauce ( patis) 11/2 cups coconut milk 1 tsp. chili powder Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1. Plunge the spinach into salted boiling water for 1 minute. Immediately rinse in cold water and squeeze out water. Chop and set aside.
2. To make the filling, heat the oil and fry the garlic until golden. Add onions and stir for about 4 minutes until soft. Add the hearts of palm, chopped spinach, and 1 cup of the shrimp. Toss until cooked through, for about 2 to 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a bowl and let cool.
3. Combine the remaining 1/2 cup shrimp, egg whites, and parsley in a blender, and purée into a paste. Add to the cooked shrimp filling, and mix well.
4. Stuff the squid with the filling. Set aside any leftover filling.
5. In a sauté pan, heat oil and fry the squids until golden brown, about 2 minutes on each side. Transfer to a plate and keep warm.
6. To make the sauce, remove most of the oil from the pan except for 1 tbsp. Reheat oil, add garlic, and toss until golden. Add onion and ginger and stir for about 4 minutes until soft. Add fish sauce and leftover filling and stir until cooked through, for about 2 minutes. Add coconut milk, and constantly stir the mixture until it starts to boil. Reduce to a simmer, stir in chili powder, and add the stuffed squid. Cover the pan and let simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season as needed.
7. Transfer squid onto a plate. Slice each squid into two to four round pieces and serve.