2 HEADLESS BODIES FOUND IN BASILAN
ZAMBOANGA CITY— Villagers in Maluso and Lantawan towns in Basilan province recovered two headless bodies on Saturday afternoon.
Chief Insp. John Cundo, Maluso police chief, said the corpses had been turned over to the Army’s 14th Special Forces Company by residents of Switch Yakal in Lantawan and Upper Garlayan in Maluso after these were found around 3 p.m.
Cundo said the identities of the victims could not be determined yet but several persons had been reported missing or kidnapped in Maluso last week.
On July 20, Dodong Divinagracia, 54, and his son, Ily, 25, went missing after Abu Sayyaf gunmen stormed their workplace.
On the same day, suspected Abu Sayyaf bandits also kidnapped workers Onyol Casiple, Rene Sanson, Mamerto Falcasantos, Hernando Sally and another victim.
Cundo said police had asked those who have missing relatives to help authorities establish the identities of the two headless corpses.
Several hours later, fire struck the village of Diki in Isabela City, also in Basilan, displacing up to 1,000 families.
Violeta Ramirez, Isabela City disaster risk reduction and management officer, said authorities were trying to verify reports about the deaths of two toddlers and an elderly.