HONEY SAFFRON CAKE WITH LEMON THYME BEURRE NOISETTE
250 g butter 170 g honey + 1 tbsp 125ml milk 2 eggs, lightly beaten 2 tsp vanilla extract 150 g white spelt flour 200 g whole spelt flour 1 tsp saffron 1/2 tsp baking soda 100 g brown sugar 1 tsp baking powder 12 lemon thyme sprigs 1 pinch salt
1. Preheat the oven to 180ºc.
2. Place 100 g butter in a frying pan and let it cook until it becomes foamy and then gradually brown, making the beurre noisette. Add the honey and stir well.
3. Transfer to a bowl and add the milk, eggs and vanilla and beat for 10 minutes in a mixer at full speed.
4. Add the flour, little at a time, baking powder, baking soda, saffron, salt and sugar and mix until the batter is soft and fluffy (if needed add a bit more milk).
5. Place on a greased and floured pan and bake for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
6. With the remaining butter make more beurre noisette and add the lemon thyme for about two minutes and then the remaining honey. Pour over the cake and serve.