Pesto braided bread
FOR THE DOUGH 160 ml milk 20 g fresh yeast 1/2 tsp sugar 300 g flour 30 ml oil 2 tsp salt
FOR THE PESTO
1 handful of fresh basil leaves 1 clove garlic 40 g grated parmesan cheese 1 small chilli finely chopped 1 tbsp pecan nuts 80 ml oil Salt and pepper to taste
1. Dissolve yeast in warm milk with sugar and let it stand. Add the flour with the salt and oil and knead well. Cover and let stand about one hour.
2. For the pesto, place all the ingredients except the cheese in a food processor and pulse. At the end, add the cheese and pulse some more. Season to taste.
3. On a floured surface, roll the dough with a rolling pin into a rectangle. With the help of a spoon, spread the pesto over the dough.
4. Roll up lengthwise. With a sharp knife cut in half, also lengthwise, so as to be two halves. Place in an oven tray with the open parts facing up and braid both together.
5. Bake at 180 degrees about 30 minutes or until golden.