PRESS & PLAY
To get you started, here’s a basic way to press foliage and blooms
• SecaTeurs or garden scissors • VesseLs for sorTing and sToring
sTeMs in waTer • A sMaLL roLLer for fLaTTening Leaves (This couLd Be a sMaLL pasTry roLLing pin) • A crafT knife for dissecTing
Bigger fLowers Like hiBiscus • FLower press • CoTTon sheeTs/MusLin/BLoTTing paper for pLacing BeTween fLowers and Leaves • thick card To hoLd your press
in pLace • GLass and/or fraMes
1. Pick fLowers firsT Thing in The Morning, when They are Their freshesT.
2. IMMediaTeLy afTer cuTTing, pLunge The sTeMs inTo coLd waTer and re-cuT The sTeMs under waTer aT an angLe To aBsorB even More waTer.
3. ReMove any sTaMens and wipe Leaves cLean.
4. CarefuLLy fLaTTen fLowers and Leaves wiTh roLLer.
5. If you don’T have a fLower press, heavy Books weighTed down wiTh a Brick or Two wiLL work. You’LL need aBsorBenT/ BLoTTing paper or MusLin pLaced BeTween fLowers. leave ½cM BeTween each iTeM Being pressed.
6. leave The press in a cooL, dry pLace and waiT a week, repLacing The paper if necessary. leave for a furTher 2-3 weeks.
7. Your fLowers and/or Leaves shouLd now Be ready for pLaceMenT and fraMing.