Rosita spares Benguet
BENGUET was spared from the recent passing of Typhoon Rosita.
Benguet Governor Crescencio Pacalso, who also chairs the Provincial Disaster and Risk Reduction Management Council said there was no effect of the typhoon as critical areas have undergone pre-emptive evacuation with bulk of the affected families coming from the municipality of Itogon.
“As far as victim of landslides, there is no record yet, few landslide incurred along roads which was immediately open. So far at least there is no casualty, there is one injured in Bakun which is still subject to validation if it is typhoon related,” Pacalso said.
As of October 31, a total of 1,142 families or 3,962 individuals were evacuated in Benguet.
Pacalso said most residents in Itogon voluntarily evacuated as they have seen the effects of the recent Ty-
For the ‘Rosita,’ bulk of the evacuees were from Itogon with 2,127 individuals or 658 families, followed by Tuba with 225 families or 915 individuals, and Buguias with 33 families or 159 individuals.
“With the many identified critical areas in Itogon, they have to be evacuated,” he added.
Meanwhile, La Trinidad Mayor Romeo Salda said at least five partially damage houses were reported in barangay Ambiong. He cited the roof of the shanties were damage, with two houses hit by landslide.
At the Benguet AgriPinoy Trading Center, chief of operations Violeta Salda disclosed trading of highland vegetables continue.
“We still have regular day, with the same volume of vegetables,” added Salda.
The different municipal disaster risk reduction management council of the 13 towns of Benguet enforced temporary suspension of outdoor activities and the conduct of pre-emptive evacuation of communities located in high risk areas.
CLEAN-UP. Workers from the City Environment and Parks Management Office round up garbage at the Baguio Public Cemetery after the All Saints and All Souls day commemoration.