Sun.Star Cebu - - TOP STORIES -

A house was de­stroyed while an­other was dam­aged in two sep­a­rate fires in the south­ern city of Naga, Cebu yes­ter­day. A shanty that served as a “bodega” for un­used car bat­ter­ies burned down dur­ing a fire in Si­tio Ka­mung­gay, Barangay South Pobla­cion at 3:30 p.m. yes­ter­day. FO1 Cielo Feliz Ba­cus of the City of Naga Fire Depart­ment said that Ed­die Carin, 62, and three other com­pan­ions were sleep­ing inside the shanty when he no­ticed that fire started to eat up the stock­room’s walls. Luck­ily, Carin and his com­pan­ions were able to es­cape. Fire­fight­ers tried to put out the fire for 30 min­utes, to no avail. More than P30, 000 worth of hous­ing ma­te­ri­als were de­stroyed dur­ing the fire. Ba­cus said an elec­tri­cal short-cir­cuit might have caused the fire. Hours ear­lier, an­other fire dam­aged a two-story house in Barangay East Pobla­cion. The fire, which oc­curred at 2:35 a.m., dam­aged the house of Co­ria Re­ponte, 90. FO2 Rey Here­di­ano of the City of Naga Fire Depart­ment said a lit can­dle caused the fire. Re­ponte was sleep­ing with his grand­son, Prince, 14, when they no­ticed that their room was al­ready on fire. Re­ponte and her grand­son were safe from harm but Prince’s mother, Kris­tine, sus­tained a first-de­gree burn on her left arm af­ter she res­cued her mother-in-law in the burn­ing house. Fire­fight­ers es­ti­mated the dam­age at P185,000. /

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Philippines

© PressReader. All rights reserved.