Don’t give false civil registry data - PSA

The Mindanao Examiner Regional Newspaper - - NEWS - Anthony H. Chiu) ( Rey

IF YOU are not legally married, or at one point you were not registered in the system, then say so rather than falsely give out information. This was the warning from the Philippine Statistics Authority ( PSA) during the Kapihan sa PIA in time for February’s Civil Registration Month.

At the radio forum, PSA's Statistical Operations and Coordination Division ( SOCD) Chief Leopoldo Alfanta Jr. shared a common problem among children born out of parents who failed to register their marriages. Based on unofficial dates which they could reckon when they started cohabitating, parents usually use this entry on their kid’s birth certificates, which could pose a problem for their children.

It can come in many forms: an unregistered marriage will have no record of such at PSA ( formerly National Statistics Office, so that might affect the validity of the later entry, Alfanta explained.

On these “personally declared” marriages, if the event is not registered, it does not get reflected in any official record, which might render their latter registration record defective.

A defective entry in the record, aside from a real hassle to the one intending to get the record, will also necessitate proceedings whether it is administrative or judicial in form.

By Republic Act 10172, Local Civil Registrars are now authorized to correct errors clearly typographical or clerical in the entries, but only in the day and month of the birth date and sex, without needing a judicial order.

RA10172 amends certain articles of the Civil Code of the Philippines which states that no one can change entries in the civil registry without a judicial order. This also means that one can still opt to have the judicial process but it would be costly and takes time.

Newspapers in Tagalog

Newspapers from Philippines

© PressReader. All rights reserved.