O’Reilly to get $25-M payout from Fox News
NEW YORK CITY (Reuters) — Bill O’Reilly will get a payout of $25 million following his ouster from Fox News over sexual harassment allegations, a source familiar with the situation said on Thursday.
Fox News parent Twenty-First Century Fox Inc. announced on Wednesday it had parted ways with the star cable news host, ending his more than 20-year career, following the allegations from a number of women.
O’Reilly’ severance, totaling the equivalent of one year of his salary, would mark the latest multimillion-dollar payment by Fox News related to men accused of sexual harassment.
The New York Times reported on April 1 that Fox and O’Reilly had paid five women a total of $13 million to settle harassment claims. O’Reilly said in a statement at the time that he had settled only to spare his children from controversy.
O’Reilly, who has been off the air on vacation since April 11, said in a written statement on Wednesday he was proud of his “unprecedented success” at Fox.
Pope Francis greets US TV host Bill O’Reilly during the weekly general audience at the Vatican last week.