Up North, golf courses are distributed by coast - Oporto Golf Club, Miramar and Estrela - and the mountainous areas of the interior -Ponte de Lima, Amarante and Vidago. Built by the beach of Espinho on the English community’s initiative at that time resident in Oporto, opened in 1890; the Oporto Golf Club is the oldest in Portugal and the second oldest in the European continent. It’s at this genuine course - full of tradition - that since 1891 that the oldest competition takes place: the Skeffington Cup. The Miramar is also one of the oldest golf courses in the country. Its 9 holes, some of which have tees situated at the top of the dunes, are almost all framed by stunning views of the ocean. The Estrela is located in Rio Alto, Póvoa do Varzim, in an area of sand dunes and of great beauty. This link, built in 1988 by the drafts of architect Duarte Sottomayor, whose plans planted shrubs and trees, of which 400 are from the predominant species of figueira-brava, willow and loendro. On the mountain side, the most predominantly noted should be the Ponte de Lima and Amarante. The first is located in the bucolic Minho, against a backdrop of mountains, vineyards and orchards. Its number 3 hole (par 5), 622m above sea level, is the longest of Portugal and one of the largest in Europe. The second is located about 600m of altitude, in Quinta da Deveza, near Amarante, against the backdrop of the Serra do Marão and the Tâmega River.
The third. The golf course of the Vidago Palace was redesigned in 2010 by the firm Cameron and Powell from a Mackenzie Ross original, built in 1936. The course was completely rebuilt according to USGA specifications for tees and greens, being transformed into an 18 hole - Par 72 course. It`s characteristics include greens and tees at elevated levels compared to the fairways. On the golf course there are great contrasts that share the special respect for the natural surroundings.