Al-Qadi rides St. Lucia to Big Tour victory
In the Open Tour, Mohamed Said Haidan emerged triumphant with mare Apple Bee
Last season’s overall runner-up Hamad Nasser al-Qadi opened his Hathab campaign in style by clinching the Big Tour class in the first leg of the second season yesterday.
At Qatar Equestrian Federation’s Indoor Arena, al-Qadi piloted his 16-year-old mare St. Lucia to a commanding victory in the feature event. Al-Qadi steered his horse in an impeccable fashion as the pair finished their round in 62.60 seconds, a whopping nine seconds clear. Al-Qadi took home QR8,750 in prize money for his effort.
The second place went to Hamad Towaim al-Marri astride Chin Van De Kranenburg in 71.39secs, followed by Cyrine Cherif with Gerlin Vd Waterkant in 72.63. Cherif managed to climb on top of podium despite a fault.
In the Open Tour, Mohamed Said Haidan emerged triumphant with his 13-year-old mare Apple Bee. It was a comfortable win for Haidan, who brought home his ride in 50.3 seconds.
Mohamed Hazim Abara mounting Ambre De Beaufour was almost three seconds behind the winners for a second place finish, while Ghanim Nasser al-Qadi took the third sport with Concordiva Vh Wilgenhof.
The second round of Hathab series will also be Qatar Equestrian Federation on October 26 and 27. A brainchild of HE Sheikh Joaan bin Hamad al-Thani, president of the Qatar Olympic Committee, Hathab was a runaway success in its inaugural season.
The series – worth QR1mn in overall prize money – provides an opportunity for young riders from Qatar to gain experience and test themselves against other best talents in the country over a grueling 12 legs, which is spread over six months.
Like last year, the results of each leg will be used in the selection process of riders to represent Qatar in future international competitions.
RESULTS Big Tour, Table A, One round against the clock, Art. 238.2.1, 130/145 cm. Prize Money: QR35,000
1. Hamad Nasser al-Qadi (St. Lucia). Time: 62.60secs. Prize money: QR8,750
2. Hamad Towaim al-Marri (Chin Van De Kranenburg). 71.39secs. QR7,000
3. Cyrine Cherif (Gerlin Vd Waterkant) 72.63. QR5,250.00
Open Tour, Table A, One round against the clock , Art. 238.2.1, 115/125 cm. Prize Money: QR15,000
1. Mohamed Said Haidan (Apple Bee) Time: 50.03 secs. Prize money: QR3,750
2. Mohamed Hazim Abara (Ambre De Beaufour) 53.27 secs. QR3,000 3. Ghanim Nasser al-Qadi (Concordiva Vh Wilgenhof) 56.43. QR2,250
Future Riders, One round against the clock , Art. 238.2.1, 85/100cm
1. Mutlaq Ali al-Hajri (Super Girl) Time: 30.17 secs,
2. Tamim Nasser al-Qadi (GK Aqueena) 32.49 secs
3. Shiekh Khalid Bin Ali al-Thani (Loughnatousa Rafa) 35.15
Future Riders, Optimum Time, 70/85 cm
1. Barzan Azzam Saleh (Ilse) Time: 51.83 secs,
2. Abdulhadi Salah Alyafei (Friedrichshof Dark Dream) 51.58 secs.
3. Ahmed Jassim al-Suwaidi (Ziza) 50.61 secs.
Big Tour class winner Hamad Nasser al-Qadi (centre), runner-up Hamad Towaim al-Marri (left) and third-placed Cyrine Cherif pose with their trophies during the Hathab Equesterian Series at Qatar Equestrian Federation’s Indoor Arena yesterday.
Mohamed Said Haidan with his 13-year-old mare Apple Bee.