Al-Baker rides Circus to glory
Mohamed Khalifa al-Baker clinched the Medium Tour title in the third leg of the Hathab Equestrian Series yesterday. At Al Shaqab’s indoor arena, al-Baker marshalled his 13-year-old chest gelding Circus to fastest time of 34.75 seconds in 1.20/1.30 class.
Al-Baker’s time was almost three seconds faster than runner-up Saeed Nasser al-Qadi, who came home with Daydreamer EC in 37.89 secs. The third place went to Salman Mohammed al-Emadi and Eglantine du Castelet, the pair timing 38.86 secs.
In the team event, Al Shaqab took the Medium Tour honours. The trio of Mohamed Sultan al-Suwaidi, Saeed Nasser al-Qadi and Ghanim Nasser al-Qadi tallied a combined time of 149.93 secs, which was enough for Al Shaqab to finish first.
ExxonMobil (Khejaim Faraj alMarri, Mohamed Abdulla Juma, Faleh Suwayed al-Ajami) came second, followed by Al Salam (Mubarak Yousuf al-Rumaihi, Mohamed al-Ghazali, Khalifa Abdulla al-Khaldi).
In the Small Tour, Khalifa Abdulla al-Khaldi emerged triumphant with 150-year-old Mare Dusty, with the pair clocking the fastest time in 52.43 secs. Khalid Mohamed al-Emadi (Dolce Vita M) was second, with Ali Mohamed al-Qadi (Henrico) finishing third.
An initiative of HE Sheikh Joaan bin Hamad al-Thani, President of the Qatar Olympic Committee, Hathab was a runaway success in its inaugural season.
The series – worth QR1mn in overall prize money – provides an opportunity for young riders from Qatar to gain experience and test themselves against other best talents in the country over a gruelling 12 legs, which is spread over six months.
Results Medium Tour, Table A, One round with jump-off (Teams & Ind) 120/130cm.
1. Mohamed Khalifa al-Baker (Circus). Times: 34.74 secs. Prize money: QR5,000
2. Saeed Nasser al-Qadi (Dadydreamer EC). 37.89 secs. QR 4,000
3. Salman Mohamed al-Emadi (Eglantine du Castelet) 38.86 secs. QR3,000 Medium Tour (Team)
1. Al Shaqab (Mohamed Sultan al-Suwaidi, Saeed Nasser al-Qadi, Ghanim Nasser al-Qadi)
2. ExxonMobil (Khejaim Faraj al-Marri, Mohamed Abdulla Juma, Faleh Suwayed al-Ajami)
3. Al Salam (Mubarak Yousuf alRumaihi, Mohamed al-Ghazali, Khalifa Abdulla al-Khaldi)
Small Tour: Table A 1.00/1.15m
1. Khalifa Abdulla al-Khaldi (Dusty) Time: 52.43 secs. Prize money: QR25000
2. Khalid Mohamed al-Emadi (Dolce Vita M) 56.06 secs. QR2000
3. Ali Mohamed al-Qadi (Henrico) 57.09 secs. QR1500
Mohamed Khalifa al-Baker and his 13-year-old chest gelding Circus clear a hurdle en route to Medium Tour victory during the third leg of the Hathab Equestrian Series at Al Shaqab yesterday.